Kennedy Area (Ext) b
Gold Scout Emblem
Birds: Queensland’s state bird which are Brolgas in the midst of performing their elaborate dance. They are native to the area.
The first design of the badge with a single Brolga was designed by Lloyd Piper 
Previous Badge Variations
The following are variations of the badge:
Type = Woven bound
50 x 60 mm
Kennedy Area is named after the former Electoral district of Kennedy in the Queensland Legislative Assembly and the Division of Kennedy in the Parliament of Australia. Both of these are named after Edmund Besley Court Kennedy an explorer (1840s) who was the Assistant Surveyor of NSW. Kennedy explored the interior of Queensland and northern New South Wales, including the Thomson River, the Barcoo River, Cooper Creek, and Cape York Peninsula.
Prior to becoming a region, Kennedy Area’s office was first established in Townsville on 21st April 1969 [1, 2]. The first Area Commissioner was Fred MacKay . Kennedy Area was renamed Kennedy Region on 31 July 2001 .
Kennedy Area Districts (1968) Castle Hill, Mt Stuart, Ross River, Charters Towers, Lower Burdekin .
Kennedy Area Districts (1971): Castle Hill, Charters Towers, Lower Burdekin, Mt. Stuart, Ross River; Attached Group : Richmond 
Kennedy Area Districts (1980): Castle Hill, Charters Towers, Lower Burdekin, Ross River 
Kennedy Area Districts (1982): Castle Hill, Charters Towers, Lower Burdekin, Ross River. 
Kennedy Area Districts (1983): Castle Hill, Charters Towers, Lower Burdekin, Ross River. Attached Group: Ingham 
Kennedy Area Districts (1986): Castle Hill, Charters Towers, Lower Burdekin, Ross River 
Kennedy Area District (2002): Charters Towers, Lower Burdekin, Cleveland Bay. 
- Fones, R. (1992). In the light of all the years. Toowong, Australia: The Scout Association of Australia-Queensland Branch. p. 132.
- Scouting in Queensland (1969). “New Area Inaugurated”. Vol 8 (4), May, p. 2.
- Priest, J. W. (2001, July 31). [Chief Commissioner Qld Memorandum to Branch Team on Kennedy Region]. Heritage Centre Archive, Baden Powell Park, Samford, Queensland]
- Haskard, D. (1983). The complete book of Australian Scout badges: Part 2, Queensland and Papua New Guinea. Chatswood, NSW: Badgophilist Publications, p. 15.
- Scouting in Queensland (1968). “Inauguration of Kennedy Area”. Vol 7 (11), December, p. 14-15.
- The Boy Scouts Association, Queensland Branch (1971). Area, group and district directory 1971. Abel & Co.
- Scout (1980) Area & District Directory, September, p.8.
- Scout (1982) Area & District Directory, December, p.48.
- The Scout Association of Australia, Qld Branch. (1983). Directory: Areas, Regions, Districts, Groups 1983.
- The Scout Association of Australia, Qld Branch. (1986). “Organisation of Queensland Branch” chart in: Scouting in Queensland. Heritage Centre Archive, Baden Powell Park, Samford, Queensland.
- Kennedy Region Joey Scout Mob Holiday program, Tarmaroo Campsite 17-18 August 2002. p.1.